Last summer, my air conditioner was having a tough time managing the especially hot and humid conditions.
The temperature was continually in the mid nineties with no hint of a breeze.
The air conditioner seemed to be running non stop and it was costing me a fortune in energy bills. When cleaning the air filter and vents made no improvement, I scheduled service with a licensed HVAC contractor. The technician removed the outer cabinet and showed me the inner workings. There was a significant buildup of dust on the cooling coil and algae within the condensate drain. Mold was thriving in that dark, damp and warm environment. The technician said that this accumulation was preventing maximum airflow through the system. With less cool air reaching the various rooms, the equipment was forced to run longer, use more energy and still not achieve the thermostat setting. He told me I was very lucky the air conditioner hadn’t malfunctioned. Plus, the air conditioner was most definitely polluting our indoor air quality. Every time it started up, the system was spreading harmful spores, bacteria and particulates throughout the house. He proceeded to lubricate the moving parts, clean all the components and verify the refrigerant charge. The improvement in the operation of the air conditioner was amazing. Suddenly, it had no trouble maintaining a perfectly cool indoor temperature. The house was cleaner, more comfortable and even smelled better. My energy bills were significantly lower. I have now enrolled in a professional maintenance program to keep the air conditioner operating at its best year after year.
More about HVAC