Most of the fire damage was contained to the family room, however even still, I am surprised at home much damage a self-explanatory space oil furnace is capable of.
I live in a rented duplex and yeahterday was quite exciting. I had just gotten home from running some errands when I noticed that my neighbor’s smoke alarm was going off. I assumed they just hot their supper but multiple minutes later the alarm was still going off. Then I started odoring smoke. I went outside and that is when I noticed a lot of smoke coming from the windows and door frame. I tried ringing the doorbell and knocking on the door but my acquaintance wasn’t home. So I called the fire department. The fire trucks came roaring in. They ended up cutting down the door to extinguish the fire. Apparently the cause of the fire was a space oil furnace in the family room. Someone had thrown a shirt over it and it had caught fire. I am so glad that I was home. If not, my house might have burned up along with my neighbor’s. After all, all of us share a wall. The thing is that I don’t understand why they were even using a space heater. These duplexes have central heating and air. Of course the property owner showed up after the fire was extinguished. Most of the fire damage was contained to the family room, however even still, I am surprised at home much damage a self-explanatory space oil furnace is capable of. My neighbors are going to have to substitute their bed and a lot of clothing. The property owner is going to have to substitute the carpeting and possibly a single of the walls. I won’t be surprised if all of us get a notice saying not to use space oil furnaces after this.