We have a natural gas fireplace installed in our living room that handles the bulk of the heating requirements for the first floor of the house.
The fireplace is a focal point and quite beautiful. For the most part, it works really well. It simulates the look of a wood burning fire but avoids the drawbacks. There’s no need to chop or haul dirty, heavy wood into the house. To start up the fireplace we simply tap a button on a remote control. There’s no smoke, soot, ash or sparks to deal with. Natural gas is a very clean burning fuel. The fireplace includes a fan that we can adjust to spread the heat evenly throughout the room. We installed the gas fireplace around fifteen years ago. We’ve never once had the system professionally service. The company who installed it is no longer in business. I called the company who took over for them and scheduled upkeep. They simply never showed up. I contacted them three more times and never managed to get a professional to arrive at my house. I’ve tried to find any local HVAC contractor who is qualified to provide maintenance on a gas fireplace. It is apparently a specialized field. I’ve done my best to take proper care of the heating system but the owner’s manual is vague on the procedures. I remove the glass panel from the front and vacuum out any buildup of dust but I can’t access the inner workings. The fireplace is definitely showing the lack of proper maintenance. I am worried that it’s going to completely quit and we’ll be left without heat.